Challenge Ranch Camp is the pinnacle program of our ranch camp programs. Campers in Challenge Ranch are the cream of the crop of riding skill. This program focuses on higher level riding skills as well as working with more aspects of what it takes to own a horse. Campers will learn more about the veterinary care and other horse care tasks that go into the operation of the Camp Kitaki barn.
Campers need to progress through Advanced Ranch Camp prior to registering for Challenge Ranch. Due to the high level or risk associated with the skills needed to participate at this level, exceptions will not be made into the Challenge Ranch program.
Challenge Ranch Highlights
This camp includes our most technical riding activities.
Ride your horse to Smokey Hollow and cook out breakfast!
Ranch Camp Community
As the oldest campers in Ranch Camp, help build a community built on respect, and love of horses!
Challenge Ranch Details
Ranch Campers will:
- increase competency and confidence through equestrian activities.
- develop a sense of unit cohesion and group identity.
- be given opportunites to connect with campers from a wide range of ages.
- gain an appreciation for the value of responsibility and hard work.
Ranch campers spend half of the day down at the barn taking part in riding lessons, caring for the horses, and learning groundwork skills like grooming and saddling. The other half of the day is spent participating in traditional summer camp activities like crafts, archery, and the pool.
Campers also take part in ranch-only activities like an evening cookout at Kitaki's lake and the Kitakeo Western Show, where ranchers are given a chance to show off the skills they have learned all week in contests both on horseback and on the ground.
Ranch camp is a small, tight-knit group. Campers stay in cabin groups based on age, but also travel to activities with a riding group based on their horsemanship experience, and opportunities to make new friends abound. Our energetic and knowledgeable ranch counselors are there to help make every experience even more memorable!
All Ranch Campers stay in Wolfe Canyon our replica western town!
Ranch Camp Levels
Kitaki's ranch program offers a progression taking into account the camper's riding skills and experience, and presents new challenges based on personal growth and development. To ensure that each camper has a safe and quality experience, ranch campers must verify their skills in each level before moving on. Our ranch camp programs consist of:
- Ranch Camp: Ranch camp has three riding groups within it and most campers will spend at a few years learning skills at this level before needing to sign up for Advanced Ranch Camp.
- Advanced Ranch Camp: Advanced Ranch programming includes higher risk activities such as speed work in the arena and on trails, jumping, and riding bareback. Exceptions may be made at the Director's discretion for campers who have extensive experience consisting of:
- Riding at a minimum once a week for a period longer than a year in riding lessons and demonstrated the ability to ride at walk, trot, and canter while maintaining control of horse.
- OR: Riding at a minimum once a week for a period longer than six months under guidance of competent adult and demonstrated the ability to ride at walk, trot, and canter while maintaining control of horse. AND ridden in shows and received ribbons showing ability in horsemanship, equitation, reining, jumping or dressage.
- Challenge Ranch Camp: Prior to enrollment in Challenge Ranch Camp campers must show their skills in our Advanced Ranch Camp. Due to the high level or risk associated with the skills needed to participate at this level, exceptions will not be made into the Challenge Ranch program.
Because safety is our #1 priority, Camp Kitaki reserves the right to move a camper down in program level should staff determine that a skill, maturity, or competency has not been demonstrated in order to safely participate.